Things to do on holiday at Hallwood Farm
Here on the doorstep or not much further
- FEED THE PIGS – Always ever so grateful for any scraps coming their way! The mummy pigs very often have beautiful little piglets to show off.
- HELP TO FEED THE CALVES – Sometimes we have baby calves here that need their warm milk twice a day, so helpers always welcome!
- ENJOY THE FARM – Hallwood must certainly be one of the prettiest farms around, hilly fields, nice big flat open fields, woods, streams, ponds and wild flowers abound. We are always around and more than happy to answer any questions.
- WONDERFUL WALKS – Lots of lovely walks to do right here from the farm. The traffic free Tarka Trail is just a mile away http://www.northdevonbiosphere.org.uk/the-tarka-trail.html.
Heaps of maps and printed walks here at the cottage.
- WALK ACROSS THE FIELDS TO THE VILLAGE PUB – From the back door, across two fields and you are there, lovely view of Dartmoor in the distance as a reward for climbing the hill!
- ENJOYING THE GARDEN – lovely big enclosed south facing garden with stunning views to enjoy while you relax with a glass of wine on the decking.
- STAR GAZING – enjoying an area with little of no light pollution means we get the best view of the stars!
- WONDER AT THE WILDLIFE – Barn Owls (we have a resident family who have young in our ‘Owl Box’ each year), Tawny Owls, Pipistrelle Bats, Badgers, Hares, Buzzards, Otters all reside at or around the farm.
- ENJOY LOVELY LOCAL FOOD – Devon has an abundance of the very best artisan food producers. We grow 20 acres of all sorts of vegetables here at Hallwood and rear our own pork, beef and mutton. www.hallwoodfreshveg.co.uk
- DARTMOOR NATIONAL PARK – 954 square kilometres of Moorland to roam! www.dartmoor.gov.uk 20 minutes in the car to North edge of Moor at Okehampton
- HATHERLEIGH MARKET – Every Tuesday morning buy anything from a live chicken to a loaf of local bread, great people watching opportunity! 10 minutes in the car
- MEETH QUARRY – Vast lakes and beautiful wildlife haven created from old clay mines www.devonwildlifetrust.org/reserves/meeth-quarry 10 minutes in the car or half hour walk from farm
- HALSDON – Beautiful woodland walks by the river, we take a picnic and paddle in the river! www.devonwildlifetrust.org/reserves/Halsdon 15 minutes in the car
- INSTOW BEACH – One of our favourite, be sure to have a Hockings Ice cream – absolutely the best ice cream ever! www.instowdevon.net/instow-beach Pretty 20 minute drive
- NORTHAM BURROWS – Another of our favourites, great for a walk across the Burrows then onto the beach http://www.torridge.gov.uk/northamburrows Pretty 20 minute drive
- WESTWARD HO! – Miles and miles of beach! Pretty 20 minute drive
- LYDFORD GORGE – The deepest gorge in the South West, with a spectacular 30m waterfall http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lydford-gorge 30 minute drive skirting the edge of Dartmoor
- ROSEMOOR – A must see for any gardening enthusiast www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/rosemoor 12 minute drive
- BIG SHEEP & MILKY WAY – A choice of 2 farm themed attractions sure to delight the little ones! www.thebigsheep.co.uk http://www.themilkyway.co.uk/ 25-35 minute drive
- BUDE – Quaint seaside town with 2 lovely beaches and an amazing newly restored sea pool www.visitbude.info 35 minute drive
- WOOLACOMBE – Award winning beach. Lovely sand & surfing www.woolacombetourism.co.uk 45 minute drive
- FINCH FOUNDRY – The last working water forge in England. Pretty setting www.nationaltrust.org.uk/finch-foundry 25 minute drive
- CLOVELLY – Steep cobbled streets through the beautiful unique village down to the ancient harbour. You have to pay to enter during the day but, access is free in the evenings after 6 www.clovelly.co.uk/ 35 minute drive
- MUSEUM OF DARTMOOR LIFE – Interesting little museum at Okehampton www.museumofdartmoorlife.org.uk 20 minute drive
- ILFRACOMBE – Quaint seaside harbour town with iconic ‘Verity’ statue. Love her or hate her, she is definitely worth a look! www.damienhirst.com/verity 50 minute drive
- HATHERLEIGH CARNIVAL & FLAMING BARRELS SECOND SATURDAY IN NOV See the flaming pile of cider barrels pulled through the streets – a real spectacle! http://www.hatherleighcarnival.co.uk/
- HATHERLEIGH FESTIVAL 20-23 July 2017 Four days of Music, Markets & Art www.hatherleighfestival.co.uk/
- APPLE DAY & LOTS OF OTHER SPECIAL EVENTS AT RHS ROSEMOOR www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/whats-on-at-rhs-gardens/whats-on-at-rhs-garden-rosemoor
- OKEHAMPTON SHOW 10th August 2017. Proper country show with lots for all ages www.okehamptonshow.co.uk
- CHAGFORD SHOW 17th August 2017 Proper country show with lots for all ages, lovely setting www.chagfordshow.co.uk
- HOLSWORTHY SHOW August 2017 Another lovely local country show www.holsworthyandstrattonagriculturalshow.co.uk/
- NORTH DEVON SHOW 2nd August 2017 A larger country show www.northdevonshow.com
- DEVON SHOW 18-20th May 2017 www.devoncountyshow.co.uk
- ROYAL CORNWALL SHOW 8-10 June 2017 www.royalcornwallshow.org