Things to do on holiday at Hallwood Farm
Here on the doorstep or not much further
- HELP TO FEED THE CALVES – Sometimes we have baby calves here that need their warm milk twice a day, so helpers always welcome!
- ENJOY THE FARM – Hallwood must certainly be one of the prettiest farms around, hilly fields, nice big flat open fields, woods, streams, ponds and wild flowers abound. We are always around and more than happy to answer any questions.
- WONDERFUL WALKS – Lots of lovely walks to do right here from the farm. The traffic free Tarka Trail is just a mile away http://www.northdevonbiosphere.org.uk/the-tarka-trail.html.
Heaps of maps and printed walks here at the cottage.
- WALK THE TARKA TRAIL TO A LOVELY VILLAGE PUB – From the back door, across Ash Moor, through the wildlife reserve and along the Tarka Trail
- ENJOYING THE GARDEN – lovely big enclosed south facing garden with stunning views to enjoy while you relax with a glass of wine on the decking.
- STAR GAZING – enjoying an area with little of no light pollution means we get the best view of the stars!
- WONDER AT THE WILDLIFE – Barn Owls (we have a resident family who have young in our ‘Owl Box’ each year), Tawny Owls, Pipistrelle Bats, Badgers, Hares, Buzzards, Otters all reside at or around the farm.
- ENJOY LOVELY LOCAL FOOD – Devon has an abundance of the very best artisan food producers. We grow of all sorts of vegetables here at Hallwood and rear our own pork and beef. www.hallwoodfarm.com
- DARTMOOR NATIONAL PARK – 954 square kilometres of Moorland to roam! www.dartmoor.gov.uk 20 minutes in the car to North edge of Moor at Okehampton
- HATHERLEIGH MARKET – Every Tuesday morning. 10 minutes in the car
- MEETH QUARRY – Vast lakes and beautiful wildlife haven created from old clay mines www.devonwildlifetrust.org/reserves/meeth-quarry 10 minutes in the car or half hour walk from farm
- HALSDON – Beautiful woodland walks by the river, we take a picnic and paddle in the river! www.devonwildlifetrust.org/reserves/Halsdon 15 minutes in the car
- INSTOW BEACH – One of our favourite, be sure to have a Hockings Ice cream – absolutely the best ice cream ever! thebeachguide.co.uk/south-west-england/devon/instow.htm Pretty 20 minute drive
- NORTHAM BURROWS – Another of our favourites, great for a walk across the Burrows then onto the beach http://www.torridge.gov.uk/northamburrows Pretty 20 minute drive
- WESTWARD HO! – Miles and miles of beach! Pretty 20 minute drive visitdevon.co.uk/listing/westward-ho!-beach/251271301/
- LYDFORD GORGE – The deepest gorge in the South West, with a spectacular 30m waterfall http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lydford-gorge 30 minute drive skirting the edge of Dartmoor
- ROSEMOOR – A must see for any gardening enthusiast www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/rosemoor 12 minute drive
- BIG SHEEP & MILKY WAY – A choice of 2 farm themed attractions sure to delight the little ones! www.thebigsheep.co.uk http://www.themilkyway.co.uk/ 25-35 minute drive
- BUDE – Quaint seaside town with 2 lovely beaches and an amazing newly restored sea pool www.visitbude.info 35 minute drive
- WOOLACOMBE – Award winning beach. Lovely sand & surfing www.woolacombetourism.co.uk 45 minute drive
- FINCH FOUNDRY – The last working water forge in England. Pretty setting www.nationaltrust.org.uk/finch-foundry 25 minute drive
- CLOVELLY – Steep cobbled streets through the beautiful unique village down to the ancient harbour. You have to pay to enter during the day but, access is free in the evenings after 6 www.clovelly.co.uk/ 35 minute drive
- MUSEUM OF DARTMOOR LIFE – Interesting little museum at Okehampton www.museumofdartmoorlife.org.uk 20 minute drive
- ILFRACOMBE – Quaint seaside harbour town with iconic ‘Verity’ statue. Love her or hate her, she is definitely worth a look! www.visitdevon.co.uk/northdevon/explore/villages-towns/ilfracombe/ 50 minute drive
- HATHERLEIGH CARNIVAL & FLAMING BARRELS SECOND SATURDAY IN NOV See the flaming pile of cider barrels pulled through the streets – a real spectacle! http://www.hatherleighcarnival.co.uk/
- HATHERLEIGH FESTIVAL 11-14th July 2024 Four days of Music, Markets & Art www.hatherleighfestival.co.uk/
- SPECIAL EVENTS AT RHS ROSEMOOR www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/whats-on-at-rhs-gardens/whats-on-at-rhs-garden-rosemoor
- OKEHAMPTON SHOW 8th August 2024. Proper country show with lots for all ages www.okehamptonshow.co.uk
- CHAGFORD SHOW 15th August 2024 Proper country show with lots for all ages, lovely setting www.chagfordshow.co.uk
- HOLSWORTHY SHOW 22nd August 2024 Another lovely local country show www.holsworthyandstrattonagriculturalshow.co.uk/
- NORTH DEVON SHOW 37th August 2024 A larger country show www.northdevonshow.com
- DEVON COUNTY SHOW 16-18 May 2024 www.devoncountyshow.co.uk
- ROYAL CORNWALL SHOW 6-8th June 2024 www.royalcornwallshow.org